Lara Bracamonte Davila

Doing What Is Right For You

Is diversion a possibility in your child’s juvenile case?

On Behalf of | Dec 4, 2020 | Criminal Defense

No parent wants to see their child’s future destroyed by a bad decision that results in juvenile delinquency charges. Yet, many families find themselves in that position on a daily basis in the Dallas metropolitan area. That’s why if you hope to protect your child’s interests as fully as possible, you need to consider every criminal defense option at your disposal. While fighting the charges and seeking a not true finding might be an option, your child might have other viable paths forward.

Diversion programs

Texas has multiple diversion programs for juveniles, each of which is aimed at rehabilitation and reducing recidivism. Although these programs are similar to probation, they are not imposed and monitored by the court. Instead, a probation officer leads the juvenile through the program, monitoring him or her along the way. While there are many advantages to a diversion program, one of the biggest is the fact that successful completion may mean that your child never has to appear in court and his or her record may be protected.

There are a number of specialized diversion programs that might be a great fit for your child. Some focus on mental health issues, while others seek to address substance abuse or family violence. There is even a program for younger offenders who may not be a proper fit in some of the other diversion programs. In other words, there are a lot of options when it comes to getting help for your child while at the same time avoiding juvenile court.

Pursuing the case as you see fit

This blog post isn’t to say that diversion is appropriate or even possible in every case. In fact, there are many instances where it’s only possible to negotiate a favorable resolution or fight the charges with full force. The important thing to know is that you and your child have options. If you’d like to learn more about them and how best to approach your case, then consider speaking to an experienced criminal defense attorney who knows how to navigate this area of the law.